Curtido is usually marinated with vinegar, but is even more delicious when simply fermented!
- Level of difficulty: easy
- Fermentation type: lactic
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Fermentation time: about a month
- 1 medium green cabbage (about 1 kg / 2.2 lb)
- 2 carrots (about 200 g / 7 oz)
- 1 yellow or red onion (about 100 g / 3.5 oz)
- ½ to 1 jalapeño, to taste
- 1 C. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. salt, or 2% of the total weight
- Mince cabbage, jalapeño, onion and grate carrot.
- Move in a large bowl.
- Add salt and oregano and mix well.
- Massage for several minutes, until the brine comes out of the vegetables, or let stand about fifteen minutes.
- Compress everything in a fermentation jar. Cover with a weight or a reserved cabbage leaf to keep the vegetables under the brine created by the vegetables.
- Close the jar while allowing the air to come out.
- Leave to ferment for three to six weeks, to taste. After the first opening, store in the refrigerator.
Can be stored 1 year in the refrigerator.
To be served with pupusas, tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas, tostadas or any Latin American dish. Keep a jar for your next taco party!