This recipe makes it easy to make kefir cheese flakes that resemble Parmesan cheese.
As the milk kefir is dehydrated, its flavours are concentrated and yield a tasty and terribly addictive result.
Although very good as is, these kefir cheese flakes can also be flavoured with any spice or pepper.
Sprinkle on your salads, soups and pasta to add a touch of flavour.
- Silicone sheet for dehydrator or parchment paper
- Dehydrator or oven
- 1 cup of kefir cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- Approx. 1 tbsp. of spices (garlic powder, chili flakes, etc.) (optional)
Note: Check out our detailed guide to making kefir cheese.
Your kefir cheese should have the consistency of yogurt. Let it drain for a shorter time if necessary.
- If your kefir cheese is very dense, loosen it in a bowl with a little milk or whey. The cheese should be easy to spread and form a thin layer. The texture should resemble yogurt.
- In a bowl, pour the drained kefir, salt, and your choice of spices. Mix.
- Spread with the spatula on the silicone sheet or parchment paper. The thickness of the layer will determine the final texture of the flakes. For crumbly and brittle flakes, the thickness of the kefir can be almost transparent. For a little more texture, the thickness can be as much as 2-3 mm.
- Dehydrate at 35°C (95°F) for 8 to 12 hours, or until cheese is crisp and brittle.
Preheat the oven to minimum and turn off when it reaches temperature. Turn on the light, but leave the oven off. Let dry overnight or until cheese is dry.
- Use your fingers to break up the sheet into small flakes.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight jar. Keeps for several weeks.
Here is everything you need to make this recipe a success: