Did you know you can easily make vegan nut cheese with koji? You will be surprised by the ease of preparation of this fermented cashew cheese.
The fermentation gives it a very pleasant taste and makes it very digestible, thanks to the many enzymes present.
This recipe will work with other kinds of nuts, but the taste and texture with cashews is just incredible.
As a starter, we use VitalKal, which is a dehydrated koji.
Makes 700ml (3 cups) of spreadable fermented cashew cheese.
- 500ml (2 cups) cashew nuts
- About 200ml (1 small cup) of water
- 2 tablespoons of VitalKal
- Salt, to taste
- Soak the cashew nuts in water, for anywhere between 2 hours to overnight.
- Rinse, then pour the nuts, salt and VitalKal into your mixer.
- Start the mixer and gradually add the water. To obtain a good consistency you will need to use a tamper and not add too much water. Start with 100ml (1/2 cup), then gradually add more.
- Mix until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Pour into a jar and close the lid.
- Put the jar in the oven, with the light on, or in a yogurt maker.
- Let ferment for between 12 and 24 hours.
You can eat this fermented cashew cheese plain, or season it to your taste with ingredients such as olives, dried tomatoes, pesto, food yeast, garlic powder... You can season before or after fermentation.
Keeps for about 1 month in the fridge.