You will be surprised by the ease of preparation of this nut cheese! Also, the fermentation will give it a very pleasant taste and it will be very digestible thanks to the many enzymes present. This recipe will work with other kinds of nuts, but cashews are incredible. As a starter, we use some VitalKal, which is a koji.
Produces 700 ml (3 cups) of spreadable vegan cheese.
- 500 ml cashew nuts (2 cups)
- About 200 ml of water (1 small cup)
- 2 tablespoons of VitalKal
- Salt to taste
- Soak 2 cups of cashew nuts for anywhere between 2 hours to overnight.
- Rinse, then pour the nuts, salt and VitalKal into your mixer.
- Start the mixer and gradually add the water. To obtain a good consistency you will need to use a pusher and not add too much water. Start with 100 ml (1/2 cup), then gradually add more.
- Mix until a smooth paste is obtained.
- Pour into a jar and close the lid.
- Put the jar in the oven, with the light on, or in a yogurt maker.
- Let ferment for between 12 and 24 hours.
You can eat your cheese plain or season it to your taste with ingredients such as olives, dried tomatoes, pesto, food yeast, garlic powder... You can season before or after fermentation.
Keeps for about 1 month in the fridge.