Are you the new proud owner of dehydrated water kefir grains, and you would like to know how to activate them? The process is quick and easy, and you will be able to make homemade water kefir the same day.
- Dehydrated water kefir grains (whole pouch, about 1 tbsp)
- 500ml (2 cups) of non-chlorinated water
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Activating Water Kefir Grains
- Pour the ingredients into a glass jar.
- Cover the jar and leave to soak for 3 hours.
- Filter and put aside your newly reactivated water kefir grains.
Making Your First Water Kefir
You are now ready to make your first water kefir!
Before making your first batch, add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice so your kefir grains will gain robustness.
Let your first batches ferment for 3 to 5 days (or until effervescent). Subsequent batches should only take 1 to 2 days to ferment.
Are you ready for the next step? Read How to make your own water kefir!