Use this Starter Culture to create the Viili, a traditional Scandinavian fermented milk that looks like a very soft and creamy yogurt. Versatile, enjoy it naturally or with fruits or syrup.
- Very easy to make.
- Does not require yogurt maker. Derived from Heirloom Yogurt Starter Cultures that like to grow at room temperature (they are said to be mesophilic).
- Ready in 24 Hours. Simply add starter in a clean container, add milk, mix and let ferment at room temperature.
- Reproduces very easily. Keep a little of your Viili in the fridge to start your next recipe.
- Comes with activation instructions and recipe.
- With some precautions, it is possible to do it with vegetable milk (details in the recipe).
- Long-term conservation. Dehydrated culture can be kept for 24 months in its original packaging, in a fresh and dry storage space.
What is the Viili
Viili is a kind of mesophilic yogurt native to Scandinavia. It has a gelatinous consistency and a pleasantly mild taste resulting from lactic acid.
This dairy product is fermented under the microbial action of lactic bacteria and yeast-like mold (Geotrichum candidum) which forms a velvety surface on the viili. In addition, most traditional viili cultures also contain yeast strains such as Kluveromyces marxianus and Pichia fermentans.
The following lactic acid bacteria have been identified in the Viili:
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. Cremoris
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar lactis. diacetylactis
- Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. Cremoris
Among these strains of mesophilic lactic acid bacteria, the Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris produces a heteropolysaccharide named the viilian (similar to kefiran produced by the milk kefir grains).
- 3 capsules of dehydrated viili culture (to be used whole)
- Each capsule can ferment up to 2 litres of milk.
- It is possible to reuse part of the yogurt to prepare the next batches.
- Ingredients: cow's milk powder and live active cultures.
- No GMOs
- Shelf life: 18 months in a cool and dry place in its original packaging.