Introducing viili, a traditional Scandinavian yogurt that is mild in taste with a velvety texture. Make your own with this viili yogurt starter culture!
This versatile yogurt can be enjoyed plain, with syrup, with fruits or any other delicious ingredients. Its amusing texture will charm you!
Viili, being part of a family of yogurts called mesophilic yogurts, ferments at room temperature. It's very easy to make- you won't even need a yogurt maker!
Simply add the viili starter culture to milk in a clean container, mix and let it rest at room temperature for 24 hours. As simple as that!
Do not forget to keep a little bit of viili yogurt aside in a cool place to use to start your next batch. The culture reproduces very easily for an economical and durable option!
With a few extra precautions, you can make viili with vegetable milk (details in the recipe).
What is Viili?
Viili is a kind of mesophilic yogurt native to Scandinavia. It has a gelatinous consistency and a pleasantly mild taste resulting from lactic acid.
This dairy product is fermented under the microbial action of lactic bacteria and yeast-like mold (Geotrichum candidum) which forms a velvety surface on the viili. In addition, most traditional viili cultures also contain yeast strains such as Kluveromyces marxianus and Pichia fermentans.
The following lactic acid bacteria have been identified in viili:
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. Cremoris
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar lactis. diacetylactis
- Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. Cremoris
Among these strains of mesophilic lactic acid bacteria, the Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris produces a heteropolysaccharide named viilian (similar to kefiran produced by milk kefir grains).
- 3 capsules of dehydrated viili culture (to be used whole)
- Each capsule can ferment up to 2 litres of milk
- Possible to reuse part of the yogurt to make new batches
- Ingredients: cow's milk powder and live active cultures
- No GMOs
- Shelf life: 18 months in a cool and dry place in its original packaging