In addition to being delicious, these yogurts have the advantage that they can be prepared at room temperature and without a yogurt maker.
In comparison, regular yogurt needs heat to thrive.
Also, these cultures are sustainable and allow you to prepare many recipes!
How To Activate A Mesophilic Yogurt Starter
Dehydrated starter retains its qualities for a very long time, but to use it, you must activate it first.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Fermentation: 48 hours
- 1 pouch or pod of mesophilic yogurt starter (try viili, or matsoni)
- 1 glass jar, with cloth cover and rubber band
- 250ml of fresh pasteurized whole milk
- 1 stainless steel tablespoon
- Put the culture pouch or the pod and a small amount of milk in the jar.
- Mix thoroughly (taking care to break up all the pieces).
- Add the rest of the milk.
- Cover the jar with the cloth and rubber band.
- Let ferment at room temperature.
After 12 Hours
- Check by tasting. If necessary, continue fermentation and observe from time to time.
- As soon as the mesophilic yogurt is ready (or at the latest after 48 hours), refrigerate the jar for at least 6 hours after sealing it hermetically.
- After 6 hours, the yogurt can be consumed. Don't forget to save a little culture for your next recipe.
Congratulations! The yogurt you have just prepared can be used as a base (also called "starter") for your next recipe. The amount to keep to start your next recipe is 1 tablespoon per 250ml of milk.
Important! The yogurt will reach the desired consistency after a few tries (2 to 5). It will probably be liquid the first few times. This is normal. Repeat the recipe once a day until the desired texture is achieved.
Find out more in the full mesophilic yogurt recipe.